1 cup water
1/4 of nuts, divided (I used raw almonds & roasted unsalted pistachio meats)
1-2 tbs. of raisins or dried cranberries
1-2 tbs. of pure maple syrup
splash of almond or soy milk (optional)
Play around with the recipe to adjust to your liking!
* Nuts- you can use any kind of nuts that you like! Try some walnuts for some added omega-3, some pecans for added sweetness, or some sunflower seeds to get some vitamin E.
* Maple Syrup- You could even do agave nectar if you like or you can always opt for the vegan sugar for a more traditional oatmeal.
* Spices- Sometimes when I add in pecans I'll throw in a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.
* Need more fiber or looking for some extra omega-3? Add in some flax seed! Be careful though because adding too much can really ruin the flavor. Add a little at a time to be on the safe side!
* Fruits- You're not just limited to raisins and dried cranberries! Sometimes I'll chop up an apple and add it to the oatmeal for the entire cooking process. It turns out lovely! Add your dash of cinnamon and some pecans and be prepared to be amazed!